Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Failure, Is It Part of the Game?

Are you broke? Or are you broken?

While looking for opportunities on the web, I have found this question that has made a life-long impact to my life.

I remember when I first received my first salary. I felt I am the happiest man on earth. I boasted and felt overconfident for the money that I have earned. I bought the things that I wanted. Spend here, spend there in order to satisfy my needs and wants.

However as time went by, I've found myself wrapped in debts, loans and other liabilities. I borrowed money in order to pay my debts, and borrowed another to pay the new debts. It is just a kind of a cycle. I want to escape, I want to move on but I cannot. It seems that the there is a centripetal force that keeps me on track.

I experienced financial crises, failures and frustrations. There were times I questioned why this happened to me.

I reasoned that this is due to my big responsibility as a breadwinner for my family. My parents don't have a stable income and I am the one who provided their needs and sent my siblings to school.

However I learned that there is no other reason for what happened to me. As William Ernest Henley  said in his very popular poem Invictus"I am the captain of my soul," there is no other to blame except me.

Though failures sometimes robbed our most important assets, it will surely leave something more important - learning. From my failures, I learned golden ideas - priceless learning that cannot be bought with money.

And though I am broke, but I am not broken.

Here I started to pick up the shattered pieces in me. As a wounded soldier, I stand again nursing up the wounds and putting  the fragments of the past together as I face the new challenges that lie ahead.




No comments:

Post a Comment